Here is a video that shows how to use a self tailing winch on a sailboat. It is important to feel comfortable handling the lines and using the winches. Sailing produces a lot of load on the lines but you can mange them easily with a little knowledge and some practice. Please share your thoughts and tips in the comments.
Key Points to Remember
- Always wrap the line clockwise around the winch from the bottom to the top (spin the drum first)
- Wrap the line 3 times around the winch drum as a starting point
- FInd a position that gives you leverage when grinding
- When letting the line out, easing, be deliberate, slow, and in control
- Employ others to help tail if needed
- When in doubt, ask for help